Pizza is a favorite food for many people all over the world. After getting it out of the oven, you will need to cut symmetrical wedges for easy serving. That’s where a pizza cutter comes in. The pizza cutter helps you to cut out those slices perfectly.
Cutting the pizza is not easy, especially if the cutter available is blunt or broken. The good news is that there are several tools you can use other than the pizza cutter to make those slices. We shall check out the available alternatives to pizza cutters in this article. So, keep reading!
But first, before we dig into pizza cutter alternatives, you should understand the different rules that apply when you are not using pizza cutters. Some of the things you should understand are:
- You should allow the pizza to settle after getting it out of the oven before you start slicing. Allowing it to sit for a while will prevent you from pulling the pizzas toppings and cheese.
- The blade size you go for should be able to cover the whole pizza diameter for a smooth and clean cut.
- You should cut the pizza in a back and forth movement to avoid messing the cheese and toppings all over the place.
Pizza cutting tools and equipment
Your pizza cutter might not be functioning as efficiently as it should. If that is the case, I want to share some other tools that you can grab to cut out slices on your pizza. These tools include:
i. Chef’s knife
- An all-purpose chef’s knife provides ultimate control to mince your way through any culinary challenge
- Contemporary, textured handle with a non-slip grip -- even when wet; The handle is ergonomically designed to help minimize tension at the wrist and...
- Hygienic, dishwasher safe, slip-resistant and NSF approved; These exceptional knives are weighted and balanced for easy handling
- High-carbon stainless steel blade provides maximum sharpness and edge retention
The chef’s knife can make perfect slices on your pizza, that is, if it can cover your pie’s diameter. If you have one at reach, you can use it to make slices without messing with the cheese. Ensure that you allow the pizza to cool off for some minutes before you begin slicing it.
You should also be careful when cutting, so the blade doesn’t twist as you slice through the pizza crust. Otherwise, that may tarn the wedges appearance as cheese and other toppings will spread all over.
ii. Kitchen shears
- ALL PURPOSE KITCHEN SCISSORS: Heavy duty 8.5" super sharp kitchen shears, Valued 2-Pack in one set, soft comfort-Grip handles. Great All-purpose scissors...
- STAINLESS STEEL SHARP BLADES: high quality hardened stainless steel blades easily cut through cardboard, twine, food, meat, vegetables, chicken, poultry,...
- COMFORT GRIP HANDLE: The ergonomically designed handle is shaped for comfort and features a soft grip coating for stability. Cushioning pads on grip absorb...
- VERSATILE COLORFUL kitchen scissors, black red, black grey. Different color handles can be used in different places, 2 special scissors are suitable for...
- DISHWASHER SAFE: Hand Wash is recommended but these kitchen scissors shears are dishwasher safe. Come with One Year Hassle-Free Replacement and Lifetime...
Kitchen shears are multi-functional kitchen tools; from chopping your salads to opening processed foods, they do it all. They closely resemble scissors, and they have not been left out in pizza making. These kitchen shears easily cut through your pizza crust and along its diameter.
iii. Pizza Scissors
- Pizza Cutter Rocker: Unlike an ordinary pie slicer or wheel roller cutter, this rocking pizza cutter slices smoothly through your pizza crust without...
- Chop Slice Dice: A multi-functional slicing tool perfectly constructed for thin crust pizza and deep dish pizza, cheesecakes, brownies, chopping and dicing...
- Professional Quality: These premium pizza slicers are crafted from anti-rust, food grade stainless steel with super sharp blades
- Safe: Features an ergonomic design providing maximum safety, with plastic protective cover for safer handling and easy storage – plus a fully dishwasher...
- Perfect Gift Idea: Make gift-giving a breeze by choosing our pizza cutter as a thoughtful present for pizza lovers, home chefs, and food enthusiasts
Pizza scissors come in many designs. Some will look like ordinary scissors, and others have a spatula attached to them. The spatula makes it easy to serve the sliced pizza. You can slice the pizza on the pizza stone with scissors as they cannot get blunt when cutting.
Sharpening them can be much easier when compared to sharpening pizza cutters, a reason you need to get one in your kitchen to save you on rainy days.
iv. Bladeless cutting
Bladeless cutting is all about breaking the pizza. It works best with frozen pizza. You just have to break the pie into pieces so that you can easily pick one piece/slice at a time after cooking.
v. Pizza knife
Pizza knives are designed with curved blades that make superb back and forth movements on your pie. Using it is easy; you just grab it in your hands and place it at the middle part of the pie and slice from one side of the pie to the other. There are also larger knives available that can easily cover the whole pizza diameter and make easy cuts.
vi. Hybrid ulu
The hybrid ulu is used in cutting vegetables. That doesn’t mean it can’t serve the purpose of cutting out pizza wedges. Its curved blade is perfect for making back and forth movement with ease, slicing through the pies crust comfortably. It is fitted with handles for a comfortable grip when cutting through the pie.
vii. Meat Cleaver
A meat cleaver is a large knife with a rectangle-shaped blade. It is used in chopping through bony meat. Chefs also use its wide blade to crush garlic cloves to remove the outer peel easily. The knife is available in various weights and sizes, so one has the freedom to go for one he/she is comfortable working with.
A meat cleaver can not only cut out slices on your pie but can also be used to spin the pizza inside the oven. This large knife can also get pizza out of the oven comfortably. After the slicing, you can still use it to serve the pie wedges to your guests and loved ones.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQS)
How long should I wait to slice my pizza after retrieving it from the oven?
You can avoid messing with your pizza cheese and toppings by allowing it to sit for 3 minutes at room temperature.
What should I slice my pie on?
There are wooden high-grade pizza boards in the market that you can use to place the pie on.
The above tools make great pizza cutter substitutes, and you should feel free to try them to make those perfect slices on your pizza. Do not forget that, for you to achieve a clean-cut, the tools should be sharp. You should, however, be careful when handling sharp tools like a meat cleaver to avoid any accidents.
Jennifer D. Simon has spent the last 26 years studying and practicing nutrition science. She has used a larger part of this time in improving people’s livelihoods. She has done so by coming up with unquestionable ideas on how to tackle food problems in her community. Read More