The best wooden pizza peel is the must-have kitchen appliance to add a little more authenticity to your pizza baking process. The peel has a flat paddle that transfers the uncooked pizza from the worktop surface to the grill’s hot pizza stone. The handles are long enough to give a comfortable grip and ultimate control. They will also prevent your hands from burning during the transfer.
The result is a crispy crust-like pizzeria that will leave a memorable taste to your family or friends. And so, whether you’re preparing the pizza from home or a suburban pizza joint, consider this indispensable tool as your kitchen companion!
But if you’re overwhelmed by all the available options on the market, this review will bring everything about the wood peels to light.
What Wood is a Pizza Peel Made From?
The common woods used in making pizza peels include maple, mahogany, acacia, bamboo, and cherry are all great woods for making a peel. Maple is the hardest yet smoothest wood. It is the most preferred as it effectively prevents the uncooked dough from sticking. Mahogany boasts a deeper colour and leaves an aesthetic appeal to the peel.
All in all, these types of woods can withstand the high temperatures of your cooking space. They have smooth, finished surfaces to prevent splitting, cracking, and splintering. And though the wood peels may not be as strong as their metal counterparts, they still do an excellent job!
To season the wooden pizza peel, simply apply a thin layer of food-grade mineral oil on the surface. Avoid using vegetable or olive oil which may become rancid. Using suitable oil seals and protects the wood, making your peel last longer.
7 Best Wooden Pizza Peel At A Glance.
You can see at a glance the best pizza peel from the list. Here I listed the 7 best pizza peels of wood. You can check customer’s reviews, present prices, and other information directly from Amazon. This section will help you to know the product in a short time.
- Emile Henry, Charcoal Wood Peel
- New Star Foodservice Restaurant Grade Wooden Pizza Peel
- Frederica Trading Premium Bamboo Wooden Pizza Peel
- Emile Henry wood pizza peel
- TOSCANA – a Picnic Time Brand Acacia Wood Pizza Peel
- Pizza Peel Hecef Wooden Pizza Paddle
How to Choose a Wooden Pizza Peel (Buyer’s Guide)
Following are the main considerations when buying pizza peels:
- Shape – Most wood pizza peels typically have rounded shapes, mimicking the shape of traditional pizzas. However, you can also find peels with square or rectangular shapes. Either way, the shape you’d want to go with should suit the structure of your pizzas.
- Size – Buying an excellently-sized peel with at least 14’’ width and 15’’ length will help you make the largest pizza wheel. Such will accommodate both large and small pizzas without limiting your preferred size.
- Handle – You’d want to choose a peel with a long enough handle to reach the ends of the oven easily without burning your hands. Go for peels with a handle length of 19-38’’. If you’re opting for a peel with a 38’’ long handle, confirm that its overall length does not exceed 56’’. Otherwise, storing may be a challenge. But if the handle is foldable, go for it! But if you are making home pizza, the short-handled wood peel is fine.
- Price – Be ready to spend anything between$15-$70 for your wood pizza peel. Metal peels are more expensive, ranging from $30- $60. Higher-end wood peels tend to have better quality and will cost higher. Only be sure that your preferred unit will give you the value for money. You don’t want to spend cheap on a unit that will break with a few uses.
- Ease of Use – Does the peel slide underneath the uncooked doughs and baked pizzas easily? Does the handle allow smooth transfers? Is the unit hand- or machine-washable? If you can answer all these questions, you’ll know the appliance’s ease of use.
- Durability – You’ll only know the durability of a wood pizza peel by looking into its quality, material, and overall construction.A durable product should be able to withstand the high temperatures of the grill or oven. It should alsoresist wear and tear, even when used regularly.
6 Best Wooden Pizza Peel Reviews
1. Emile Henry, Charcoal Wood Peel
The Emile Henry is the ideal set for all pizza lovers! It comes with a Charcoal Wood Peel made from all-natural materials and Burgundy clay pizza stones that employs the Emile Henry proprietary flame technology.
The peel is custom-fitted to the pizza stone for easy use. This stone is heat-resistant and works optimally against temperature change. It is made for use in ovens and works with broilers, grills, gas, and charcoal.
This pizza stone is dishwasher-friendly and can also be washed by hand, water, and soap. All these possibilities make cleaning a breeze.
And what’s better than knowing that the manufacturer backs up the unit with a ten years warranty? That means you do not need to worry about any quality problem or production fault of the peel and stone. You’re well covered!
Verdict: The Emile Henry Charcoal Wood Peel allows you to bake delicious homemade pizzas with a crispy paste. The quality construction and guaranteed performance explain the high price.
- Easy to clean
- 10-year warranty
- Heat-resistant pizza stone
- Ideal gift option for any pizza lover
- Complete set of a pizza stone and peel
2. New Star Foodservice 50226 Restaurant-Grade Wooden Pizza Peel
Unleash the pro chef in you with this sturdy yet lightweight basswood pizza peel! The even texture makes it less prone to cracking. And you’ll undoubtedly love the affordable price tag!
The separating feature that makes the peel stand out from all other conventional pizza peels is the smooth, even texture. Though it doesn’t have a finish, the texture will prevent oil from secreting into your pizza.
The peel features a tapered ½’’ blade that easily slides under and lifts the pizza wheel from the worktop surface. But besides pizza, the peel can also lift bread, cakes, muffins, or even cupcakes out of the oven.
The handle will keep your arms and hands from the heat. This feature ensures you enjoy a smooth cooking experience.
Simply hand wash the peel with soap and water, and it will be clean in a matter of seconds. And since the unit is available in various sizes and lengths, you can choose what suits you best.
Verdict: It’s time for your pizza party! This peel ia large enough to make enough pizza for your friends and family. Enjoy your cooking!
- Available in various sizes and lengths
- Multi-functional: can lift pizzas, bread, cakes, muffins, or cupcakes
- Good price/quality ratio
- The peel has a smooth, even texture
- Sturdy and durable construction
- It lacks a finish which makes it very soft
3. Frederica Trading Premium Bamboo Wooden Pizza Peel
This premium bamboo wooden pizza peel boasts a total length of 18″ (from handle tip to peel tip). This length and size are perfect for typical frozen pizza or smaller homemade pizzas.
With a ½” thickness, the peel remains sturdy and does not flex or bend, even when working under high temperatures. It’s also light enough for easy manoeuvrability from the worktop surface to the oven and back.
The premium bamboo cutting board boasts multi-purpose functionality. It’s a versatile tool that also serves as a handy chopping block and cutting board for pizza, veggies, or fruits. It also functions as a serving tray for your cheese.
With BSCI, FSC, FDA, and LFGB certification, you can rest assured that this set non-toxic and entirely safe for use. It will not sip oils into your baked goods.
Frederica Trading Pizza Peel would also be a great addition to any bar or kitchen counter. The “Frederica Trading” logo gives it a classy touch, perfect for display.
Verdict: Are youtired of using that flimsy plastic spatula to remove your baking goods? Then you should try out the solid and sturdy Frederica Trading Premium Bamboo Wooden Pizza Peel. It is affordable and will do your cooking justice!
- Perfect size for smaller homemade pizzas
- Versatile and multi-purpose functionality
- ½” thickness that is solid and sturdy
- A classy touch, perfect for display
- Certified, therefore, non-toxic and entirely safe for use
- Only suitable for building smaller homemade pizzas
4. Emile Henry wood pizza peel
This wood pizza peel is custom-designed to fit Emile Henry pizza stones. It easily slides underneath the unbaked pizza, picks it up, and places it in the oven.
The peel is made from beechwood, which makes it solid and sturdy. It will withstand the oven’s high temperature but still promise durability.
Use this peel for cooking as many pizzas as you want. And when they are ready, use it to remove the just-baked pizza from the oven and slide the next pizza in. Be sure to leave a pan or stone in the oven to help in maintaining the heat.
And when you’re done baking, simply hand wash the appliance with water and soap.
Enjoy the product’s 10-year cover on any quality problem or production fault from the manufacturer.
Verdict: The Emile Henry wood pizza peel is designed exclusively for Emile Henry and a must-have kitchen appliance for any baker owning an Emile Henry pizza stone. The peel is thinner than most of its competitors, which will be a hugely pleasant surprise for any pizza enthusiast.
- Ten-year warranty
- Easy to wash
- Easy to use
- High-quality construction
- It has rough edges
5. TOSCANA – a Picnic Time Brand Acacia Wood Pizza Peel
The centrepiece of every pizza party is the Acacia Wood Pizza Peel by TOSCANA! The handsome peel comes with a bevelled edge, making it easier to transfer your baking goods in and out of your oven.
The unit is solid and reliable and comes ready to meet and exceed your expectations. It does its work perfectly, just as intended. And because it’s built to last, be ready for game-changing baking in your kitchen!
It looks artfully beautiful hanging on your wall by the notch at the tip of the handle. And the lovely natural acacia wood grain makes it a great addition to any kitchen counter.
The tapered handle offers a steady grip, enabling you to use the tool to maximum effect.
And if for whatever reason, the product fails to perform as promised, the manufacturer will replace or repair the item if deemed necessary.
Verdict: If you’re looking for an aesthetically appealing wood pizza peel, TOSCANA’s is the way to go! It is sturdy and well-made, with no imperfections. And imagine getting all these at a less expensive price! There’s nothing not to love about this product!
- Features beautiful acacia wood construction
- Flat paddle design
- Tapered handle for ultimate comfort and control
- Integrated hole in the handle for hanging while not in use
- Built to last you a lifetime
6. Pizza Peel 12 Inch Hecef Wooden Pizza Paddle
Acacia wood is known for its robust quality and decent looks. And since the Hecef Wooden Pizza Peel wood is constructed using this wood, you’re investing in a durable and delightful appliance for your kitchen.
The pizza paddle boasts a wider 1.3’’ edge compared with other pizza paddles. Owing to this wider edge, the unit easily slides under the pizza, making cooking pizza easier and fun.
Besides transporting pizza from the worktop surface to the oven, you can also use the peel for your bread, cheese, or other baking goods. It would be a great potential kitchen companion for everyday use.
Cleaning is a breeze; use clean and soapy water to rinse it, wipe the surface using a damp cloth, and leave it to dry out. The smooth surface and advanced design ensure ingredients do not attach, making your cleaning work easy.
Verdict: Display this beautiful wood pizza paddle on your kitchen countertop and enjoy the beautiful looks! But besides the fantastic looks, the unit is reliably strong and unbelievably easy to use and clean—the safest appliance in your kitchen.
- Easy to clean
- Strong and sturdy construction
- Premium acacia wood material
- Wide tapered edge
- Beautiful design
- Pizza will not launch once wood starts peeling off
How to Clean Wooden Pizza Peel
Pizza dough tends to stick more easily on metal peels than it does on wood peels, making cleaning a breeze! The best way of cleaning your wood pizza peel is by using cold water and a damp cloth or sponge or cloth. Alternatively, you can use warm, soapy water to clean the surface. It’s not advisable to soak the wood peel lest they become weak and prone to warping or cracking.
After cleaning the tool, be sure to air dry on your dish rack or simply hang it up the cupboard. Avoid using your peel while it is still wet since the dough is more likely to stick on a wet surface hence deforming your pizza’s structure and shape. You should also avoid putting the peel in the dishwasher – you will be doing more harm than good.
Note: Always wash your wood pizza peel after every use to make it last longer.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q. Can you put a wooden pizza peel in the oven?
A. The best wood pizza peels are designed to withstand an oven’s highest temperature. That’s why you better invest in a quality unit that will not disappoint your expectations. When baking in an oven, you’ll need a peel with a longer handle to avoid suffering hand burns. The handle should reach the end corners of the oven.
Q. Is a wooden or metal pizza peel better?
A. Wood is the best material to prevent the sticking of raw pizza dough to the peel. This material is essential if you don’t want to disturb your carefully assembled pizza toppings. Most people also prefer wood as it is cheaper, aesthetically appealing, and easy to use and clean. However, metal peels outshine their wooden counterparts in quality and durability.
Q. What can I use instead of a wooden pizza peel?
A. If, for whatever reason, you cannot get a wood pizza peel, consider using a rimless cookie sheet, server platter, cutting board, baking paper, or parchment paper.
Q. How do I finish my wood pizza peel?
A. Pour mineral oil on the surface and spread it using a clean, dry cloth. Allow the peel to sip in the mineral oi, and once the surface is dry, you can use the peel for baking your pizza. Repeat this process as often as you feel necessary.
Building and transferring your pizza from the worktop surface to the oven and back shouldn’t be such a hassle. Many of these appliances have a slick finish coating, while few(especially the cheapest ones) come unfinished. The coated wood peels are the best options as they will easily slide beneath the dough. All our products are tested for durability, quality, and top-notch performance. Grab one today and enjoy a smooth and exciting pizza baking experience!
All the best in your purchase!
Jennifer D. Simon has spent the last 26 years studying and practicing nutrition science. She has used a larger part of this time in improving people’s livelihoods. She has done so by coming up with unquestionable ideas on how to tackle food problems in her community. Read More